Friday, April 17, 2009

T.G.I.F.


It's Friday, whoa, what the heck, how did it get here this quick? In my first post, I wrote that on Friday's Marie and I would be trading off with our Tips, Goodies, Inspirations and Frugalness ideas. T.G.I.F. Today is my day.

A few weeks ago I was rearranging my living room and noticed that after moving furniture around, the wainscoating was in huge need of a new paint job. A friend of mine had given me a can of paint about a year ago, that she'd picked up on the sales rack for $5.00. On the lid, the color looked to be a sweet Sage Green. Thinking this would be fantastic with my wallpaper, I grabbed it and started stirring and stirring. Hmmm....not green. More like a washed out yellow.

Being on a budget and knowing I could make this happen, I was not about to make a 40 minute trip to the store and spend money, when I had a perfectly good can of paint in front of me. I dug through my trunk of acrylic paints and found a few that I thought would help me achieve the color I wanted. Black, Royal Blue, Bright Yellow. I squirted a little in and kept stirring. It resulted in a fantastic Sage-ish Green color, that matches perfectly to my wallpaper. I love it so much, I am planning to use the rest of it to paint my dining room.

So, my Tip of Frugalness for this week is, before you run to the Hardware store and spend $20.00 or so dollars on a gallon of paint, look around see what you have and improvise. It's like being a kid again, fingerpainting and swirling all your colors together. It's fun to see what you can come up with, then give it a "flashy" name and when people ask what color your wall is, you can say, oh it's Sage and Celery. Pretty flashy, huh? :)

P.S. An extra tip, if you want the color to be a bit muted, add black. Do it slowly, while you stir, this will help to tone it down a notch.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I had just read about this in the Complete Tightwad Gazette. Of course this after I've spent a small fortune in paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save your paint for a rainy day, and then try some new, fun colors...maybe even mix some of them together, as long as they're the same kind. I've done that, too. The one thing to make sure of, is that you're painting a smaller area, it's hard to recreate a color, so running out and still having half a wall left is a bit of a bummer!

    ReplyDelete